Wednesday, September 13, 2006

I need more time

Welcome to the fall semester.

Monday: 6-815, Heroic Epics of Greece and Rome
Tuesday: 11:45-1, Ancient Greek.
6-815 The Prose Poem Advanced Poetry Workshop with Mary diMichelle.
830-1045, ENG 425 Advanced Poetry Workshop with David McGimpsey.
Thursday: 11:45-1, Ancient Greek.

In between times, I manage the TA position, small Web design jobs, and try to think about finally finishing some reviews for money (I hear money comes in handy now and then).

So, because my Tuesday's are insane, I can't take time to get to Ottawa (my car's now working again, but I can't afford to register it--$255 per year, that's stupid. I think I may just have to sell it. After all, poet's don't typically have cars, right?). Anyway, I won't be able to make it to see the fantastic Daphne Marlatt on October 3rd. Because it falls on a Tuesday and I have to attend class for my workshop that day... not to mention we get attendance marks removed for any absences... which I think is an easy way out in grading a poetry workshop--15%, ridiculous. But I'm very broken up about the reading I can't make. So, if you're in Ottawa, go see her for me. Give her lots of attention, she deserves it for writing such important and moving work over the years. Her new stuff is great too.

I have another dilemna. I sat in on a class on my crazy Tuesday from 1-2:30 with this political science prof everyone is nuts about. Now I'm nuts about him too. He's teaching a class on Plato's Laws and it's AMAZING. Now, how exactly do I find time to take this course? And does it fit into my program? Of course it doesn't. But I'm kinda disappointed in my courses this year so far (except Ancient Greek, it's challenging and brilliant), and I know this class would make me think think think... what to do, oh what to do. Maybe I'll sit in again tomorrow and see what I think. I could always drop one of the others (although they are all required... damn, I need more time at university. Another 10 years would do it).

If Plato could only come to me in dreams...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

unique visitor counter