Friday, April 29, 2005

Friedrich Von Schiller

I am better than my reputation.
Johann Friedrich Von Schiller

I received a package in the mail this morning from Germany. My darling Eva sent it from Berlin. A lovely gift of a Von Schiller play, Love and Intrigue. I'm not familiar with his work at all, and so welcome the indulgence of absorbing his aesthetic and closing the gap of time zone and distance between myself and my dear red-haired siren friend with said personally inscribed gift. V.Shiller appears to enjoy the occasional flit with philosophical ideals, as seemed fashionable for the intellectual man of his time, (they had no television I suppose; but more precisely, seemed of stronger moral character) and proves particular judgement toward basic concepts of goodness, truth, freedom. Pleasant to read, but not sure I'll get a whole lot out of it. I've already appeased these directions through Satre, Camus, Kant and Hobbes, among others. But, I'm likely being too hasty. Have read very little so far. The crux of his work is said to "all express a yearning for escape from tyranny." Can't say I feel particularly oppressive today. Maybe I'll read him tomorrow.

Apparently he was pretty good lookin too.

Keep true to the dreams of your youth.
Happy [is] he who learns to bear what he cannot change.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

unique visitor counter