Monday, April 25, 2005

As I drove Netherland poet Erik Lindner to the train station (part of my Writers fest duties for the week) he remarked on how Ottawa reminded him of his birth home in The Hague. Looking out my 11th floor window of my day job as I write this, I see a newly unfrozen flowing river, trees seemingly gathered and crowding to get a good look at things, ant sized cars along the parkway...nothing at all like what I remember from my incredible Hague visit from a couple years ago, in which my travelling partner and I set up tent on the shore of the North Sea (and right beside the large 'tent with an x through it' sign - ha). Still, something to be said about government towns all being somewhat alike...which is essentially what he was getting at. Also during that visit of mine, and just after my visit to the Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam (very moving exhibit), I discovered a homeland version of how Canada liberated the Dutch from a guy selling me a hot dog. Still a very powerful connection over there to us folk. And a great bunch of people from what I experienced. Everyone should move to Holland. Yay!

In other news, you should know that the rock an roll band Mooney Suzuki is pretty great -- Here's a sample.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

unique visitor counter