Tuesday, October 05, 2010



I have embarked on my academic teaching career. Today I gave my first official lecture to a group of 75 students on the subject of Wordsworth, the sublime (one of my favorites), and tenets of Romanticism. The only thing lacking was Puccini filling out the background. Alienation, individualism, Turner paintings, apocalyptic revolution and "spontaneous powerful feelings"... as if I were made to teach this stuff. Fabulous.

It took a lot longer to prepare a lecture than I'd anticipated. Good lessons learned today. Do not overwhelm students with too much information, do not be too verbose, and ensure quotes are precise. Good good.

And now, to return to the pile of work awaiting my tired little head, which I shall soon rest, after cleaning my pile of neglected dishes of course, and after marking the tests that have been lying in wait, of course.

But first, I must attend to some Verdi.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

unique visitor counter